About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Pinterest Recipe Review: Slow Cooker Chicken





First of all, let me say that the original link to this recipe seems to be bogus, but the details are in the pin itself so I went with it.  When I cooked it, It DID NOT look like the pin photo. In any way. At all. (The pin chicken obviously had been browned in some way, grilling or something. That does not happen in a slow cooker.)

See:



And it doesn't have a very descriptive name, so I added a word to it.

 My Review:
The flavor of the sauce is good, but the chicken did not really need to cook for as long as it did. My chicken was dry-ish. If it was bone-in or full chicken breasts, maybe it would need that long to cook.
That could have been because I just put frozen tenders in the slow cooker. I am going to make this again with fresh chicken and cook it less time.

I also may make a second batch of the sauce and simmer it to serve with the chicken. The sauce left in the slow cooker looked kind of gross. :) (See above photo)

My kids found it to be just okay. I want to try it again with the above mentioned tweaks.

The recipe/pin had no title, just the ingredients and basic instructions.
I fleshed it out a little but this is the recipe as given in the pin.

 Slow Cooker Sweet Chicken

1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup light soy sauce

2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins

Whisk first 3 ingredients in a small bowl to combine.
Add 2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins (I use 2 -3 tenders per person I am serving) into the slow cooker.
Pour sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hrs.

 Serve with rice.


Feel free to pin this recipe from here to start a new pin with a link that works. :)

I served this with homemade Fried Rice that my friend DeLaine gave me the recipe for.



Delaine’s Fried Rice

2-4 cups precooked rice (leftovers work well) 
2-3 Eggs
Oil
Green onions, diced
¼ tsp garlic powder
Vegetables (diced carrots, peas, broccoli, pineapple etc.)
5 TBSP Soy Sauce divided
1 TBSP Oyster Sauce
1/8 - 1/4 tsp Asian Chili Sauce


Scramble 2-3 seasoned eggs.
Add 2 tbsp oil and sauté green onions, ¼ tsp garlic, carrots, peas, and broccoli and 1 tbsp soy sauce.

Add cooked rice, then make a funnel in the center of the rice and pour in 3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce, about a tablespoon of oyster sauce and a little squirt of Asian Chili Sauce.  Cook at medium high heat stirring frequently until lightly browned.

*Amy's notes:
  I don't have a wok, which is highly recommended (apparently) for fried rice. To make enough for my family I have to do my batches in a large pot. Mine always ends up kind of steamed and the veggies overdone while I am trying to get the rice to brown up. I have made small batches for lunch that work fine in a frying pan. Also, taste the rice and add more of the sauces to taste. More rice = more sauce. (Ask me how I know. :P)


 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm yes it definitely does look different but it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete