About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tagged

Hollie at the Undercover Crafter tagged me a couple of days ago, and I am finally getting to answer the questions she gave me. I am not a great writer so my answers are simple. :) If  you would like me to elaborate on anything, just leave a comment or shoot me an email. 


1) What is your favorite sewing tool?

The rotary cutter and ruler are my favorite tools, mostly because I am incapable of cutting a straight line. Scissors are not my friend. When I first started quilting, I had my fabric and pattern but only scissors to cut with. I put off starting the quilt for months because I knew I would ruin all the fabric. Thankfully, my husband and Mother in law came to the rescue and got me a mat, cutter and ruler for my birthday that year.

2) What is your least favorite thing about quilting / sewing?

 I don’t really like doing bindings on quilts. It is a little tedious. That is why I have 3 quilted quilts with no bindings.
Also, I don’t like having a stack of fabric in front of me to be ironed before I can start a project. I am a lazy person who likes to take the easy way when ever possible, but I know that if I cut wrinkled fabric I will have an even bigger headache to deal with.

3) What is your dream project?

My dream project is to make a quilt that I dreamed up; with all the fabric I need to start out as well as enough to make mistakes with. Finances make it difficult for me to get everything I need at once. I have to buy the top, then the backing, then the batting, then the binding. And I don’t have room for much error.

4) Which project has been the most challenging for you and did you complete it?

 My dad’s Rocky and Bullwinkle quilt was very hard. I had limited resources (as usual) which really caused most of the headache. The quilt needed to have some solids or blenders to do what I really wanted to do with it, but that was not an option. Working with those busy, crazy, themed fabrics was making me crazy. Nothing I tried looked good. Eventually I sacrificed my backing to sash the simplified blocks and I made it work. It is not the greatest or most eye pleasing quilt, but it got done and I think my dad liked it.







5) What skill would you most like to improve / learn?

I would really like to learn paper piecing. Amazing things can be done with it. I just haven’t known where to start. I also want to learn to slow down and enjoy the process more. I love to get an end product and sometimes I rush through just so I have something to show. I will probably never be a big name quilter with quilt a week or even a month to show off on my blog. I need to accept the kind of crafter that I am and enjoy it.

6) It's your last day on Earth. What's your final meal?

Hmm, I think my last meal would for sure be something someone else made. It would probably Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti (maybe Olive Garden?), Fresh Raspberry lemonade, Garlic Bread from Litza’s Pizza with some Baskin Robbins Chocolate Fudge Ice cream for dessert.

 7) Where is your favorite place that you've ever visited?

The Redwood Forest in Northern California is way up on the list as favorite spots to visit. It was beautiful and peaceful and refreshing. We camped in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.





 8) Who (or what) is your greatest inspiration?

I think I take inspiration from lots of sources, so I can’t pinpoint one thing or person really. I see thing around me and take note of them. I think I embarrass my husband sometimes when I take pictures of the booth at Chick-fil-A or the floor of the hotel we are visiting.



I also see other crafters and take inspiration from them, their projects and goals and things. I do have to be careful in that area because it can backfire on me and discourage me when I see how much fabric they buy or are given, or that they are creating successful patterns regularly and have things being published. But then, that just comes back to accepting who I am and the circumstances I am in and doing the best with what I have. There are leaders in my church who are an inspiration as well, as they have a connection with God and the people in their lives that I would like to have. And last but not least is my husband. He has overcome struggles in life and keeps working on improving himself and encouraging me to do the same.

 I have chosen 5 people to tag whom I would like to know better. Please don't feel obligated to do this. :) and if you choose to do it, there is no hurry. You can post now or next month, or next year! The questions I have will follow.

In alphabetical order:

Becky: Solar Threads
Debbie: A Quilter's Table
Martha: Living Life
Susan: The History Quilter
Tiffany: Pinks Sweet Treats

1)    10 years ago, what occupied the majority of your time during the day.
2)    What motivated you to begin quilting and when did you start.
3)    How big is your fabric stash and what color do you have the most and least of?
4)    What is your favorite munchie snack or treat?
5)    Where do you craft?
6)    How many projects do you have in active (3 months or less since you worked on it) progress, and what are they?
7)    Who do you make things for most and why?
8)    If you could live anywhere in the world, not including your current home, where would it be and why?

 And also, feel free to start a tag on your own blog so we can get to know each other! Just leave a comment with a link if you do.

 

2 comments:

  1. So cool! I used to live just a few hours from the Redwoods, and have been to that place many many times. It's amazing!! The garden is starting to occupy my time presently, so it may take me a while to respond! I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...love hearing more about you. And I'm all for embarrassing hubby by taking pictures of inspiration where we see it! ;-) Sweet of you to tab me too....

    ReplyDelete