About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's me again

I have spent a lot of time on the computer lately, mostly because I'm too brain fried to sew a straight line. By the time the kids are home from school, fed, homework done, bathed, prayers said and tucked in, I'm ready to be tucked in too. But I don't like being idle that early to a certain degree, although if I have to choose between staring at a wall and cleaning something, most days I would pick staring. So to do something productive I have been doing scrapbooking.

To me scrapbooking is not necessarily making a scrapbook page, though it is that too a lot, it is also documenting history in a way that can be easily shared. Via blog for example. I blog here to record my creative efforts, I keep a private family blog to document the kids and our adventures, I also head up a private extended family blog that takes in family from one side of the U.S. to the other, and I have a public, kind of skeletal family/personal blog that I share mostly with former classmates from High School.
Another way I scrapbook is taking photographs and scans of documents and old photos and kids' art or school work and awards.

Now to the point of this rambling post, I remembered that tucked away in my closet is an antique quilt. My mom had asked me to send her a picture of it last year and I just barely got around to documenting it. So I wanted to share a bit of it with you.

If reproduction fabrics are accurate, then I think I can date this quilt from the 30's. Of course, I really have no clue, but since it belonged to my Great-Grandmother on my mother's father's side, that seems like it could be about right, but it may be older. I just realized I don't even know her name! She made a lot of quilts, I hear, but unfortunately they have all disappeared except this one. I have no idea how I got it, but I am not letting it go. It is in pretty bad shape, a major stain, pieces missing,permanent creases, backing seams coming apart, binding completely worn away in places. But is is still so beautiful! I can't imagine hand piecing and quilting an entire quilt. It absolutely boggles me.

Here are a few pictures of my treasure for you. It has some really great fabrics in it. I wish I could show you all the pieces! But this will have to do.
Enjoy!








** UPDATE - I had the quilt looked at by a textile historian who dated it between the 1930's-40's.

No comments:

Post a Comment