About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Friday, August 30, 2013

Values Buntings

Lately a lot of my sewing and crafting time has been devoted to my church responsibilities, doing digital scrapbooking and sewing buntings.

In my church, it is a lay ministry, meaning nearly everyone pitches in and receives a "calling" (assignment) of some sort. A few months ago I got a new calling. I am in charge of the Personal Progress program for the girls ages 12-18 (Young Women). The program is a set of goals subdivided into Values groups. The purpose is to help the girls form habits of prayer, scripture study, and service and to strengthen their testimonies of Jesus Christ.

The Values are Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity and Virtue. (If you have seen this fabric, these values are the inspiration for it.)

Part of my job is to to support and motivate the girls to work on their goals and become familiar with the Values, each Value theme, scripture and color.

In our ward (the congregation) in the Young Women's program, we have assigned each month a value to focus on. Once a month I have an activity with the girls to focus on that value, and help them with one of the goals. (We have fun too!)

Every month, I make a small poster with the theme and scripture, as well as a mini version as a take home bookmark and also a bunting in the color of the value. I also have a color themed treat on a card that I give them every Sunday if they bring their Personal Progress books.

Here are some of the buntings and posters. I have the gold Virtue bunting as well, but have not photographed it. The buntings are made from felt and pre-made quilt binding, and the letters are stenciled on with craft paint.



The Integrity color is purple and Good Works is Yellow. The Good Works theme and scripture are: I will help others and build the kingdom through righteous service. Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven (3 Nephi 12:16).

The Virtue color is gold.


If the Personal Progress program interests you for your girls or even yourself, you can start here, or email me for a hard copy of the book and journal and I will mail it to you.

 

1 comment: