About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pattern Test: The Lucy Hobo Bag

I did a challenging pattern test this week. :)

 This is the Lucy Hobo bag, designed by the very fun and awesome team at Clover and Violet.
They put out a call on Facebook to get help emergency testing the pattern. I think, the issue was that n ad came out before they were expecting it to and the pattern was not ready to put in the shop. I had a fairly low key week ahead and most of the supplies so I was happy to help out.

SOOO much work goes into writing patterns and the more I test the more respect I gain for those who produce them. It makes me even more adamant about not photocopying/email sharing purchased patterns around. Those pattern designers don't deserve that after all the work that goes into the pattern.

This pattern had a bunch of new to me techniques, such as an inset zipper pocket in the lining, a bound edge, a button loop, a side and bottom panel, curved corners, and pleats.

I cheated on the binding. It was supposed to be hand-stitched down, but instead I stitched in the ditch on the front, and since there was a  fair amount of  edge inside, I turned it back on itself, which hid my sloppy stitch in the ditch and topstitched the whole thing.

This bag is a little stiffer than the bag should be, since I had to use fusible fleece instead of interfacing and flannel. I had to use what I had on hand, not purchasing anything, and it was okay to substitute. It is supposed to be really "slouchy".









While I am not happy with the quality of the construction of this bag, (I made tons of errors and it's somewhat shoddy, rushed workmanship) it is still cute and should be a functional purse.

Thanks to Jennie at Clover and Violet for  trusting me!



2 comments:

  1. It's a cute bag. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job - it's super cute and I too love the colors you chose. So is it functional?

    ReplyDelete