About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Cheater Cherry Cheesecake, again.



Cheater Cherry Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts, but I rarely have cream cheese on hand so I don't make it often. I named it "Cheater" because it is not baked like traditional cheesecake .My mom just called it cherry cheesecake. A few people have likened it to the Jell-O No Bake Cheesecake you can buy at the grocery store. They are very similar. Cool, smooth and creamy, with the zing of the cherry to complement the sweetness.

When I had "real" cheesecake for the first time I thought it was nasty! LOL  They are different. I love traditional cheesecake now. I even had a cheesecake buffet at my wedding reception. (My excuse was that my husband-to-be loved it.)

This is a make ahead dessert because while it is quick to assemble it takes a while to set up in the refrigerator.
This is what it looks like if you jump the gun. :)


Still tastes AWESOME, just not such an appetizing presentation.

I posted the recipe a while back, but since I made it for my birthday last week, I am sharing it again, with photos and updated with a couple of tips.


Cheater Cherry Cheesecake
By: Linda B (Amy’s Mom)

Filling:
1 8 oz package cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup Powdered sugar
1 pouch Dream Whip   


Filling Instructions:

Mix Dream Whip according to package directions*. Set aside. (If you need to reuse your mixer, like I do, just use a spatula to scrape it into a small bowl and set it aside.) Cream together powdered sugar and cream cheese.  Add the prepared Dream Whip to cream cheese mixture.

Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5-6 graham crackers, crushed)
3 TBSP powdered sugar
6 TBSP melted butter (I have cut it back to 4 TBSP and while slightly more crumbly, still workable.)

 or 1 store bought graham cracker crust


Crust Instructions:

Melt butter. (You might be able to melt it right in the pie pan if it is microwaveable. It saves washing an extra pan and you don't waste butter.) Mix crumbs and sugar into the butter and press gently into pie pan. (If you press too hard, the crust might stick and refuse to come out of the pan. I know this to be true.)
Pour cream cheese mixture into pie crust. Refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours. 1 can cherry pie filling

1 can cherry pie filling

Top with 1 can pie cherries. Keep refrigerated until served.


* To make Dream Whip, empty one pouch into bowl of electric mixer. Add 1/2 cup of cold milk (I used coconut milk because I was out of regular and it was fine) and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix on low speed until blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then mix on high speed for 4 minutes or until topping thickens and forms peaks.


ENJOY!!

 

2 comments:

  1. This is the same receipe I make but I only use 1/2 cup of sugar in the first part. When you say powdered sugar do you mean icing sugar that you make icing with. I just use regular white sugar. It is delious one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, confectioner's sugar, icing sugar or powdered sugar.

      Delete