About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Miscellaneous and random: Coconut Oil

This post is about coconut oil and how I use it.


This is the brand I use. I use it because it is the first one I found to experiment with.

You see, last year, every so often, my husband would mention to me how he had read that shaving with coconut oil worked really well. I should try it sometime. I guess he said it enough times because I finally did. And guess what? It does work well.

I found some coconut oil at the grocery store. It seemed like an awful lot to keep in the bathroom, especially if it didn't work out. I didn't want to be cooking with something I had been dipping into in the tub. You know? :P

So I did a little recycle with a Gelato Container (delicious and FYI, Target carries it) and I keep that little tub in the tub.

 A few things to note:
  • Wet your legs (or face men) first. I tried a "dry" run and had mild razor burn. Nothing like I normally get shaving with shaving cream and water, but there nonetheless.


  • Use a good razor. I have tried about 6 different razors and the cheapest ones 1 or 2 blades still left razor burn. If I use a good quality 3 blade or more razor I rarely get any burn. I can buy the Up&Up Brand "Women's Razors/Five Blade/Compare to Venus Embrace" and be fine. They are on the pricey end of the "cheap" razors. :)
  •  Be generous. I probably scoop about 1-2 tablespoons onto each leg. Rub it around well for a minute or two.

Pros:
(I like this much better than shaving cream because:)

  • The coconut oil lasts way longer. I think I started using it in October or November of last year and I am still on the same little tub and am about halfway through it. (NOTE: I only shave once a week or if we are going to the beach or pool.)  
  •  My skin is softer and I use less lotion and rarely get razor burn, which with shaving cream was a frequent occurrence.
  • There is no odor.
  • I rub it into my feet while I shave and they are nice and soft when I get out. Sometimes I use it as lotion after I shower as well.


Cons:

  • It will leave residue in the tub/sink. Use something that cleans oil to clean it up.
  • If you are allergic to coconuts you can't use this (I assume).
  • It makes the tub slippery! Be careful!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment