About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Sugar Cookies Revisited

Tomorrow is the playgroup Valentine Party, for which I am responsible for providing cookies for the kids to decorate. In initially we only had 6 kids coming, so I started out making them a giant heart to decorate. But then I got another RSVP so I had to abort that and switch to regular sized cookies, because there weren't going to be enough to go around. I had already used 10 and a half cups of flour. My kids will get the ginormous ones. :) I am sure they will appreciate that.



To make the huge hearts, I used the heart shape from my spring-form pan that I never use because I don't know how. :) It is about 8 inches tall and 7.5 inches wide at the widest part. What kid would not love a cookie that big!

 I used my go-to sugar cookie recipe, Aunties Sugar Cookies, but I changed it up a little bit. I replaced half the shortening with butter, and added some vanilla for a little flavor. Don't get me wrong, I love these cookies as I usually make them but they don't stand alone well. They need the frosting. :) But now, I can totally munch on one with nothing on it. Just a little sweet, and ever so slightly buttery. YUM!
The dough turns out a little wetter and not as stiff, but I was still able to work with it just fine to roll them out. You can always add a little flour if you like. And as you can see in the photos, I used parchment paper on my cookie sheets.
I had to roll out the big ones directly on the floured parchment, cut them out, and then lift the parchment onto the cookie sheet. It worked beautifully. The big cookies baked about 7 minutes longer than the regular ones.


And 'cause I love you, here is the new and (I think) improved Auntie's Sugar Cookies recipe. (This is half of the original recipe.)

Auntie’s Sugar Cookies – Famous Mormon Recipes - Adapted by Amy W

3 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
½ cup shortening
½ cup butter (room temp.)
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs beaten
1 ½ tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening and butter. Stir in sugar. In a separate bowl, mix milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. (If dough is too dry, add milk 1 TBSP at a time.)
    Roll dough onto floured surface and cut out shapes (1/4” thick dough works best). Place on un-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar, (omit this step if decorating with frosting). Bake 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
 *These bake up soft and light at 1/4". The thinner you roll them, the crispier they will be.

Happy Valentines Day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment