About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Friday, February 8, 2013

Sewing like mad!

It seems that I have been sewing non-stop for the last little while, but I couldn't show any of it. I still can't show some of it. But one fun and new for me project is a tote bag with super cute applique that I have had the privilege to pattern test.
Erin Schlosser of Schlosser Designs created it with Melissa at Iza Pearl Design.


Unfortunately I got hung up in my testing when I went to my thread box for my light blue thread and it was gone! I needed it to quilt the front and back of the bag. The quilting is the last step before assembly. So, my bag was stuck in limbo until I could get to the store for more thread. (And I missed my deadline.)
I got thread today and the plan is to quilt the rest and assemble it tomorrow. But in the meantime, you can see my cutie sassy girl that is appliqued on the front.


Waiting patiently for quilting.
 I have appliqued very little previously and with not very good results when I did. But this time I did awesome! (Except for that dainty little mouth, which had me nearly cursing as I messed it up again and again.) But it turned out alright. She has a cute tie that goes on her neck where the scarf "ties" under her chin. Did I already say super cute? Well, can you blame me?

You can see photos of the full bag and the other tester's bags on Erin's website HERE

The pattern is now up for sale as a PDF download or a hard copy in Erin's shop

She has a lot of fun patterns and they are easy to follow. I have made the Zoe Messenger bag





and the Floral Clutch.




I have plans to make a Reversible Grocery Tote soon.
Go check them out!


Another item in the works is a baby quilt for a friend who is the wife of my husband's co-worker. The wives of 5D Robotics all get along great and we get together for movie musical night, birthdays, movie premiers, things like that. 3 of those ladies are expecting babies in March, so we are having a lunch to celebrate the new arrivals on the 18th.
This quilt is for the gal who we know is having a girl. There is also a boy on the way (my sister in law), and a surprise baby.

It is not really "baby" fabric, but it is  pretty. I have been hoarding it for something special. It is Tidbits by Kari Ramsay of Fresh Cut Quilts. By coincidence the pattern is from her too, CrissCross, though I think it is a discontinued one. I have had it for a long time.  I think it was the second printed pattern I ever bought. I am not making the full quilt, just 12 blocks instead of 20 and no borders (probably).
 I messed up the cutting so I was forced into doing the blocks the way you see below, instead of all the florals being on the corners. I think it will be okay. There are green and pinks still to come. This is just the yellow and brown set.



I have not worked on any UFOs since I finished the pillow. But that is okay! :) They are not going anywhere.

Have a great weekend!

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! Everything is great...sassy is sweet; great bags...and I love Tidbits!! especially the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute sassy girl! Lots of great goodies you've been working on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took this bag to The Quilt Asylum to carry my "stuff" while I shopped. The employees at The Quilt Asylum loved your bag and color choices so much, that one of them took several pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete