About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Cider Donuts


A few weeks ago, I cam across a recipe for cider donuts, from the King Arthur Flour website.It looked good so I pinned it on my Pinterest board for breads to try. Then Debbie, at A Quilter's Table mentioned she was getting a donut pan after seeing another recipe for cider donuts. She suggested that we make our donuts and then share the results this week in her link-up party, Tuesday at the Table.


So, this weekend, I made Cider Donuts, with King Arthur Flour's recipe.



They look delicious right?

Well, I will admit they were more edible than this batch of donuts that was made with my fabulous Wilton Pan.
 



My son made these donuts using the recipe from the package and they had an odd flavor and dry and chewy. They looked delicious though!
We do want to try these again because I was out of cake flour and buttermilk so we did substitutions and my son pretty much made them without me looking over his shoulder, so there may have been errors. Has anyone else used the Wilton recipe with success?



The Cider Donuts, upside down, cooling.


Now, the Cider Donuts, also looked promising and smelled really good baking. But they were a disappointment as well. Not nearly as much as the first ones, but still nothing special.

The donut part was pretty good, with a good texture and fairly moist, though it could have been a little more so. The flavor was just a little too subtle for me. It needs to beef up the spices I think, to really pack a punch and there was really no cider flavor that I could taste.

BUT here's the caveat. The recipe calls for Boiled Cider, and is linked to their online store where you can purchase said item. I checked one local store for anything like what they linked to and came up empty. So I Googled a how-to and made my own by boiling down some cider. I may have needed to let it reduce even further to get a flavor like the store-bought kind, which may have caused my cider donuts to be less than cider-y.

On the left is the boiled cider, on the right is regular in the amount I started with.


Okay, so that is the donut part of the review.
The glaze was another matter entirely. Here are the ingredients.

    3 tablespoons boiled cider or thawed frozen apple juice concentrate*
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey
    1/4 cup water
    *If you use apple juice concentrate, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice; the concentrate isn't nearly as flavorful as boiled cider.


You can see that boiled cider makes another appearance, as I expected it to. And I chose to use honey, which I would not do again, because that was almost all I could taste. If I concentrated I could taste the slightest hint of apple. But I am thinking that I should not have to concentrate to taste apple in a cider donut. So honey is out.
And then:

To make the glaze: place all the glaze into a saucepan.

Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved.

Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pan, and boil for 3 minutes

Remove the cover and boil for a few more minutes, until the syrup reaches soft ball stage, 240°F on an instant-read thermometer.

Remove from the heat, and cool slightly.

Carefully dip the doughnuts in the warm syrup; reheat the syrup if it's thickened too much. If you dunk them completely, place them on a piece of greased parchment or waxed paper, to set. If you dip just the tops, place them on a rack. Top immediately with chopped nuts, if desired. Note: any extra syrup will hold for up to a week, covered, in the refrigerator.


See my highlight there in the directions? That threw me. I have made candy, so I know what soft ball stage is, and I could not reconcile that with what I normally see on a donut. But, in the interest of being as true to the recipe as I could, I did as directed.

It is not a pleasant thing to bite into a donut, only to have the topping stick to your teeth and rip away from the rest of the donut. And as I said, it really just tasted of honey. So, the glaze was a total disappointment.  After a few hours out in the air, most of the glaze melted into the top of the donut, which was far more edible, except for a small ring where the donut crisps at the edge of the pan. It remained sticky there.

So, what this all boils down to for me, is that this recipe is not a keeper. I would rather try a new recipe than continue to tweak this one until it is delicious.



I hope Debbie had better luck with hers.

She will have a link-up up for anyone to post their recipes for donuts, so please nip over and check them out and add one your self!

And lastly, if you have made or are going to make this particular recipe, I would love to know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, they look so good! Too bad all of that work was less than impressive :(. I've never tried baked donuts, but have done lots of fried ones. Unfortunately, DH is trying to lower cholesterol, so I'm trying hard to keep my fryer in the pantry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear. You had to go to way more effort than I, with less than happy results. So sorry! I thought the cider flavor could have been more pronounced in mine, but the family just really loved them like they were. And they WERE quite straight-forward. I'm interested to see if you hear from others who have tried this recipe....Thanks much for joining in on donut day & linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I didn't even know there was something called a donut pan. I liked your review a lot. I might try making donuts and get myself a pan. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete