About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Friday, November 23, 2012

Sewing and sick

We had a really nice Thanksgiving yesterday. It was just us, so pretty mellow and quiet, other than my son being really sick with a cold or something. I have a yummy recipe to share, but I am saving that for Tasty Tuesday. And I also have a great new blog to share, but unless you are super smart and figure out that I posted the link somewhere on the sidebar, you will have to wait for Tuesday for that too.

For now, here is more sewing from earlier this week.

I made the 3 kids with an iPod shuffle a little tiny drawstring bag to keep them in using the pattern from In Color Order - the full pattern, not the free tutorial. It is well worth the money I paid to get all the sizes. Thanks to Susan for sending me the link to it.


This one was my test to see if it would be the right size. It was perfect. I just used leftover fabric from the ruffle quilt block I made with fabrics from Jo-Ann's. My daughter liked it fine so she took that one.


 The 2 on the left were made with fabrics chosen by the boys.

I made my older son a wallet too (matching his pouch). He requested one after seeing my younger son's version. I made this one with 6 inch wide fabric rather than 5 1/4 and the zipper pocket is much easier to use. I am not loving the raw edges of the zipper sticking out, but I have not figured out a way to change that yet.



I tried to sew today during the Black Friday Sew In with a bunch of podcasters and other quilters, but I felt sick all day. And I don't have a Twitter account which takes some of the fun out of it, since I can't chat or follow along.  But, I got some scarves cut, just no actual sewing.

And having sick family has been a total bummer because one of my dearest friends, who I have not seen for 8 years, is in town visiting her parents and we were supposed to get our families together for lunch today. But my son has been sick and then I got sick as did my husband so we had to put it off until Tuesday. I just pray that we are all well then so I can see her. I haven't ever met any of her children and she has met only 2 out of 4 of mine.

This is a hat my daughter made as a gift for one of her cousins. Knitting and crocheting are still beyond me. :) She, on the other hand, has managed to excel at every craft she tries. She is into beading and yarn projects these days, which is good because we just have one sewing machine (which technically belongs to her). I'll have to post photos of the earrings she made for her cousins too.




Well, that is all for tonight. I am going to make some hot chocolate and curl up in bed with a book or maybe some Sudoku and a podcast or 2. :)
Have a great weekend!







3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the little bags are so CUTE! You've just inspired me right this very minute to make a few for Christmas gifts for various people/family. Thank you too! :) Love that fabric for the first one (from the ruffle quilt block) - good choice by your daughter. Impressive how crafty she is.
    OK hope you and your son feel better soon so you can get together with your friend on Tuesday - sending you healing thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey -- it's Jessica (birdieblogs) from Threadbias!

    I love these little bags! You're right, I need to bite the bullet and just pick up the full pattern. (Maybe I can tip my husband to gift it to me for the holidays...)

    As far as your zipper problem, I pinned a really great tutorial for zippered pouches awhile ago that addresses how to make the ends of the zipper "more polished". I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it will help! The link is: http://kelbysews.blogspot.com/2011/03/zippered-pouch-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the zipper tabs on pouches before, I just could not get them to work on this wallet. I need to play with it some more.

      Thanks for the link!

      Delete