About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Trying new things

Image from http://www.forthegourmet.com/Exotic-Fruit-c2340


Yesterday I decided it was time for a change at our house. We are in a rut with our menu. And we would like to serve healthier things. So from now on (or until I forget) once a week we are going to try something new at dinner. This week, actually, 2 things made their debut. Hawaiian papaya and Salmon (I saw the recipe here and decided to give it a try.) graced our dinner table.
 
So last night's menu was this:

  • Honey Coconut Salmon
  • Baked potatoes with topping options of sour cream, cheese, butter, bacon bits and S&P (not healthier, I know)
  • Fresh Pineapple
  • Steamed Broccoli
  • Papaya balls (used a melon-baller to scoop them)

I served the kids one papaya ball and about 2 tablespoons of Salmon and they could have as much of the other items as they liked. They only had to taste the papaya, but they had to finish the fish they were served.
There was a lot of creative complaining and eventually I had to set the timer to get them to polish off the fish. No one liked it except my husband. We won't be keeping that recipe, but we will be trying salmon again, teriyaki style, sometime down the road.
No one liked the papaya either. For me it was too similar to cantaloupe, which I don't like. Littlest miss thought it was a peach and popped it right in her mouth, and 2 seconds later it came right back out with a slimy plop onto her plate. :) Yum!

I would love to hear your suggestions on delicious new things for me to serve my family. I think this month will be fruits, and then June will probably be veggies. After that, who knows! I really want cactus to make an appearance, but I need to track it down.

In other foodie news,
My son requested that I make banana bread and of course I went straight for the "best" recipe I have and I made myself a little treat while I was at it. :) I am not a banana fan, but I love putting chocolate chips in the batter. I make mini loaves, since I have better luck with them cooking all the way through. So I just took a third of the batter and put it in another bowl and put chocolate chips in it. Then I added the bananas to the other 2/3 of the batter.

 I got this recipe when I compiled a recipe book for our church. It is one of the best in the book.

Deliciously Rich Banana Bread
submitted by Donna Westover

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 medium bananas, sliced
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease bottom of a 9 x 5 loaf pan.

In large bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt, stir into the butter mixture until smooth.  Finally, fold in sour cream, nuts, bananas and chocolate chips.  Spread evenly into prepared pan.

Bake for 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes in pan and remove to wire rack to cool completely.

For mini loaves, use 3 - 1 ¾ cup pans, preheat oven to 325 and bake for 35-45 minutes.



 

Now bring on the food adventure!


Visit Debbie at A Quilter's Table for more food adventures every Tuesday

 

6 comments:

  1. Sorry I have no great ideas for the kids. My two year old screams bloody murder when I put something new on her plate! Thanks for sharing your banana bread recipe. I will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What we like to do is I take the older kids to the store with me and let them pick something new that they would like to try. I buy it and look for a recipe with that ingredient. I try to incorporate the kids helping prepare the item they selected so they "own" it more and are more likely to try it and like it later.

    the kids recently selected mango (which I don't like), kiwi, and I had to talk them out of the coconut but they desperately wanted it! maybe we'll do that next time.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the cake that you can have and eat it too!
    1 box angel food mix
    1 can crushed pineapple
    Mix together and bake as directed on the box. (in a large pan as it expands really high!)
    Do not add other ingredients,
    Do not make it complicated,
    Do enjoy.
    And for the weight watchers - 1/12 th of the cake is only 3 points!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love salmon here! Hmmm right now, radishes are so yummy and fresh. How about rhubarb?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love salmon! Do they like radishes? Rhubarb? I'm a big fan of whatever is fresh, local, and in season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool you are trying new things! I have gone through phases of doing that & it is a good thing. That's how kale and farro became a regular part of our meals. I think Christine has a good idea too about letting the kids help pick. And DO try salmon again - teriyaki might go over better. And another thought with new proteins, is to provide the kids something to dip it into. My kids LOVED to dip. Good going - and thanks for linking up to Tuesday at the Table!

    ReplyDelete