About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

WIP Wednesday: February/March


Not a lot happening with the UFO pile, and I keep adding projects. :)
Such as...

 
I have plans to start a new quilt with the above fabric that I may or may not be taking the class for in May, so I am not officially adding that one to the list yet.



 
My Dad's birthday gift is probably not going to make it for his birthday at the end of March but I am going to try. He is getting a Rocky and Bullwinkle quilt. We used to watch this with him when we were kids and when I saw this fabric I knew I had to make something for him. Yardage was scarce (not that I looked very hard) but the Fat Quarter Shop had a fat quarter bundle and half a yard of the white. I tried to think of something to make with this fabric that he would actually use and came up with an apron (he is the cook in the family), but making one with fat quarters did not appeal to me, so he is getting a lap quilt. And I am probably going to strip quilt it for time saving. I am not going to use the daisy fabrics, and I supplemented with some other fat quarters, in yellow, and white with black. I have a sort of plan sketched out and hopefully I can make it work. I am not so great at math.  :)

I recently started using my earbuds with my iPhone, even though they really hurt my ears. I have been listening to the History Quilter podcasts (http://www.historyquilter.com/) and I can't hear well enough without them when I am sewing. I also put one in one ear to listen while I drive. (A bit naughty, probably, but I can't hear them otherwise.) So I want a pouch to keep them in so they don't get lost in the abyss of my purse. I plan on using the tutorial here.

I have really enjoyed Susan's podcasts. She talks about a wide variety of quilting topics historically speaking and also shares about food and her life in general. I like how real she seems. I have no other experience with podcasts and as soon as I am caught up on hers I will be branching out.

And now, back to topic...

This has been my most recent Work in Progress


I finished up one of 2 zipper pouches and was really pleased with how it turned out. (I posted about them here.) I am hoping the second one goes well too. I plan on finishing the second one this week. I just have assembly left.

I finished hand quilting the In-Spur-Ation quilt, acquired fabric for binding, and there it sits.
 Note to self (and you all): Remove painters tape used to hold down quilt for basting immediately after it is basted. Yes, I left the tape on the whole 18 months I worked on it. NOT a good idea. And actually I probably won't use tape again. I don't think it helped a whole lot.
 
I did get a back made for the table topper, but I have since put that aside, because the table was dismantled and the TV moved to an end table. I still plan on practicing my free motion quilting on it. It just became less of a priority.


I also bought some yarn because my daughter is sure she can teach me to crochet. Never mind that 2 other people have tried. I can't crochet. Did I mention that I hate touching yarn?  Stay tuned. :)

Here is a little summary of some of my projects and the state they are in.

WIP Summary


Completed tops hangin’ out:
Sliced Coins (I have fabric for a back, or it may actually be a back. I can't remember.)
Neutral Mediterranean (no back, I think)
Table topper to put under my TV (back is present and accounted for)

In Progress:
Zipper pouch
1 special doll quilt
4 vintage sheet doll quilts
Binding the In-Spur-Ation quilt (have fabric, need to make the binding)
Rocky and Bullwinkle Quilt

No progress in 30+ days (UFOs):
Advent Calendar
Tree Skirt
Cherry Sweet Road to Ireland – quilted & needs to be bound
Sherbet – quilted & needs to be bound
Bliss – Needs borders
Block of the Month - sashing et al.
Hot Wheels - finish the plan find the black fabric
Skill Builder QA - Put on long term hold. I just don't have time for it right now. I think I will catch up my WIPS before I start again.
MOTP QA - sashing
SuperNova - make more than 1 block!
Very Hungry Caterpillar
+ a few more...

Need to start:
T-shirt quilt
earbud pouch
2 Sliced coins
Dishmat


This month's stats:
Completed projects -
a bunch of dish towels
1 place mat
3 travel sized pillowcases
1 pin cushion
1 Zipper pouch
2 stationary sets (papercrafting, not sewing)

New Projects:
3



I'm linking up at Lee's Freshly Pieced blog. Go check it out!

6 comments:

  1. cute pouch- love the rocky and bullwinkle fabric too- I am excited to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Rocky and Bullwinkle quilt! That's awesome! I'm sure your dad will just love it. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Rocky and Bullwinkle quilt sounds like lots of fun! I bet your Dad will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little pouch and love those fabric piles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pile of fabrics. They're gorgeous. The pouch is great, too.

    ReplyDelete