About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Monday, February 27, 2012

How did that happen?

With Google Friend connect making an exit, I decided I needed to "back up" my subscriptions to make sure that I keep getting to see posts from all the blogs I follow. I discovered I have 252 blogs on my list. Yikes! How did that happen?
 I guess there are tons of talented and fun people out in blog land that I love to read. :)

Every so often I pare down the list. It is a hard thing to do. I don't want to offend anyone by dropping off their readers list, but I have to be realistic in what I can handle time wise. If a blogger has a thousand readers, they probably won't miss me, so I will bookmark them to check in on every so often. But most of the blogs I read are smaller, like 300 readers or (way) less. And most of them I love to read, so it's not so easy to cut anyone.
What to do, what to do...

Anyway, I backed up my list by going to my dashboard and copying and pasting the list into a notebook document, then into a word document. (Word had a memory hissy fit, probably about all the behind the scenes coding, so I did notebook first.) I made a table and cut out the junk and now I have a list of all the URLS of my favorite blogs.

 As I went, I highlighted non blogger blogs, and also ones that I need to check on or delete from my list on Reader.

Later today I am going to go through Google Reader and add subscriptions to the non blogger blogs that I follow with Friend Connect. Hopefully that will solve the issue.


3 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets like that doesn't it and it's really hard to keep up with the reading list sometimes... I narrowed mine down (and as you say, feel a little guilty about unfollowing people, but interests change and therefore your reading list also changes). I have my reading list feeding into a separate rss reader as I find that easier than the dashboard reader but your idea is very smart. I follow so few blogs (really just the ones on my blogroll in the sidebar) that I know them all and can google them if I ever lost them somehow -, I have to be realistic about how much time I have and I like to spend the time I reading my handful of inspirational friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is so clever..need to do this myself. Thanks for showing us how you stay organized. :)

    ReplyDelete