About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Recipe Review: Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes

I follow a blog called Pleasant Home and towards the end of October she posted about a recipe she found for Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes (she got the recipe from http://cravingchronicles.com) . They are baked, not fried, so I was all for giving them a try. I had just enough pumpkin left over from making pie to make these yesterday.
Here is my review:
They are soft and fluffy and they taste great...but I did not care for the butter/cinnamon sugar coating. I found it to be greasy and soggy. I followed the directions, cooling them for about 2 minutes then coating them. I think I will try these again, with more of a streusel topping baked on and also, coating some after they completely cool and brushing the butter on rather than dipping them.  
I am the only one who did not fall head over heels for these. I like them but I need to tweak them just a bit. Everyone else LOVED them.
This is a keeper.




 
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes
http://cravingchronicles.com/2010/10/11/baked-pumpkin-spice-donut-holes/

For Donuts

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves    


1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup low-fat milk

Directions

Preheat oven 350°F. Spray each cup in a 24-cup mini muffin tin with baking spray or butter generously.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices (through cloves).
In separate, large bowl whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until smooth.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined – do not over mix!
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. (Using a 2-tablespoon scoop will ensure uniform size.) Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For Coating

1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

While the muffins bake, melt butter in one bowl and combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Remove muffins from oven and cool for 2 minutes, or until just cool enough to handle. Dip each muffin in melted butter, and then roll in cinnamon sugar to coat.




I also made the first batch of wassail for the season. You can find the full recipe here. I halved the recipe to fit in my Slow Cooker. I discovered after making it that I did not unpack any of our mugs. So you get a picture of it in the slow cooker. :)



Wassail (half recipe)
In a large pot mix:
1 qt. Water
1 ½ cups plus 1/3 cup sugar (stir until dissolved)
5 cinnamon sticks


Bundle in cheesecloth:
1 large ginger root
5 whole allspice
12 whole cloves


Gently simmer these in mixture for 1 hour.

Add:
21 oz orange juice (about 2 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 gallon apple juice (8 cups)


Simmer at least one hour. Remove the cloth bundle before serving. Serve warm.



Digital kits by Crystal Wilkerson

No comments:

Post a Comment