About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sour cream pouch favor tutorial


Today I share with you (finally) what these were.


I was in charge of the favors for a dinner for the women at church and I drew upon my resources as a former Stampin' Up! Demo and this is what I made.


They were filled with Almond Joy candy bars, because our theme was Womanhood: a Journey of Joy (or maybe it was Joy in the Journey. I forget.)
Anyway, these are super simple to make.

But first, some advice about adhesives.


I find that using Sticky Strip (or Terrifically Tacky Tape) is best for these. With card stock you need a strong bond or they just pop open. I used Elmers Glue All for the dinner favors to save money, and while that held fine, anywhere there was glue the paper was stiff and hard. There might be craft glues that dry more flexible.

Glue sticks are okay if you are using a more lightweight paper. Card stock does not hold well with the glue stick. The pictures below show me using a glue stick.  In reality I only used this to seal the ends after they were filled and that one end held fine. I don't think that would be the case if the whole pouch was assembled with a glue stick.

Roll-on adhesive such as Tombow  mono-adhesive is nowhere near strong enough. I made some with card stock and Tombow mono-adhesive and they popped open at every seam.

Even though there is a glue stick pictured, the pictures below will demonstrate as you would use Sticky Strip, with  notes about alternatively using glue.
And using Sticky Strip you can do it all at the same time, whereas glue you can only do 2 seams, wait for them to dry and then finish so the process is much longer.

Now for the fun!

Sour Cream Pouch Favor


This size is made with a half sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper, or, in other words, 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches.
You can make them as small or as large as you like, it just needs to be rectangular. You can even use envelopes by sealing them shut, trimming off one end and then filling and finishing as directed below. Cool, right!?!





On the wrong side of the paper, apply a piece of sticky strip about 5 1/4 inches long to one 5 1/2" end (the right) of  the paper. Apply about a 4 1/4" piece of sticky strip to center of one long (8 1/2") side and  another 4 1/4" piece  to the left end of the other long side.



Remove paper from sticky strip on short side and roll paper to form a tube with the right side (printed) of the paper on the outside.



Remove paper from the sticky strip centered in the long side. Stick ends together. Press firmly.

 

If using glue, just do the first 2 seams, then clip shut until the glue is dry, then continue the process. You will need to clip the top shut for the glue to dry in the last step as well.



 Fill with desired filler.



Turn the tube ¼ turn and remove paper from other sticky strip. Press together making the pouch.






 I like to add a tag or ribbon to the top of these, but for this event, it needed to stay simple.

Enjoy! And as always, is something isn't clear, please let me know!





No comments:

Post a Comment