About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Today's Affirmation

This is a major deviation from my usual topics,  being spiritual in nature.  Feel free to move on if it is of no interest to you.This will probably  not be a common occurence. I just had some thoughts and wanted to put them out there.


I heard this quote the other day and It rang true for me so I am going to share it and my thoughts about it with you.
I hope you will share your thoughts/take on it with me too! (But please be polite.)


Call on God, but row away from the rocks. ~ Indian Proverb

To me that means that having faith in God also requires action on our part. He is waiting to bless us, but we should not be sitting on our duffs waiting for things to change. He blessed us with brains so we should use them. He will certainly inspire us if we ask for help with anything we are struggling with.
I think this scripture is one that touches on that.

James 2: 14 -18
14aWhat doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath bfaith, and have not works? can faith save him?
 15If a abrother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily bfood,
 16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye agive them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
 17Even so afaith, if it hath not bworks, is dead, being alone.

Here is another one that I feel is similar.
  • Revelation 3:20

    20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.


There is a painting I like where Christ is standing outside the door knocking but there is no doorknob. It is up to us to let him in. He will teach us and then we need to take his teachings and use them. Serve, be obedient to commandments given, learn, grow our faith. ACT.


3 comments:

  1. My Gramma always told me "God helps those that help themselves." Which seems to be in the same vent of the Indian proverb. I believe that God blessed us enough with the ability and the skills to help ourselves as well as those who cannot. And it is in our selfless acts that we are doing as He would do. Because if it weren't for Him, we'd be incapable of doing anything. I don't think He can bless us with anything if we don't first put ourselves out there. Interesting topic today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Granny used to say that too Tracy and I agree that it is in the same vein as the Indian proverb.
    God made us in his likeness and that means we are able to use the skills he gives us to both help ourselves and care for those who need our help. Without him we would be nothing and therefore we need to open that door and let him into our lives so that he can teach us and equip us for the things he wants us to do
    Thanks for a thought provoking topic today

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great proverb. It resonates with one we use in our family. "Blessed the poor, but bring them potatoes." As in, yes, pray. Also do the practical things that you can do by God's grace.

    ReplyDelete