About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Pop Top Can Surprise AND Tasty Tuesday

This project was one of my favorites when I was a Demo for Stampin' Up!. It is so very easy and cute, and it never fails to get a smile out of the recipient. Also, if you leave the original label on the can it makes a fun April Fools joke. But I missed that boat, so we shall move on to Easter goodies.


I really like using the mini cans, like from Mandarin Oranges or single serve fruit cups.  But this is what was in the pantry so we are doing the regular can. The instructions are the same for any size can. Just adjust your measurements accordingly.

Basic Supplies needed:


1- A can of fruit with a pop top.  
(You can use a regular can, but as a recipient, it is not as much fun to get out the can opener to see what might be inside. Also check that the bottom of the can is not molded as part of the cylinder of the can.)
2-  A safety can opener.   
(These remove the top of the can without creating a sharp edge, more like breaking the seal where the top meets the cylinder. I believe I found mine at Wal-Mart, but I have seen them at random grocery stores, and I know you can get them through The Pampered Chef.)
 3- Very strong glue, such as Super Glue or Gorilla Glue  
(Please just make sure if you are putting food items in, they are protected in plastic bags so the food does not get glue on it. The glue I used to use is Crystal Effects sold through Stampin' Up!. If they still sell it, it is great stuff. Not just for gluing things! Mine was dried up, so I will be running to a craft store to get something similar to finish off my cans. I believe it is called Diamond Glaze.)
4- Something to put in your can.  
(This time around I am putting in Cadbury candy eggs, mini candy bars and Peeps flavored lip balm.)

Optional Supplies if you are NOT making an April Fools type can and will be removing the label.

5- Cute paper. 
(I use scrapbook paper, but in a light weight. The stiffer/thicker the paper is, the harder it is to get it to stay put around the can. You will use more adhesive.)
6- Paper cutter
7- Ruler
8- Sticky strip/Terrifically Tacky Tape - a really strong double sided tape sold at most major craft stores.
9- Craft and Paper Scissors (for ribbon, paper, and that can also cut sticky stuff)
10- Embellishments: ribbon, flowers, tags, die cuts, brads etc.
11- Glue Dots - These are invaluable at sticking those embellishments on.  Small is a good size for this project. You can probably use these instead of the tape as well, especially the large ones, they would just be slightly more work. Love love love Glue Dots. Yes I do!

Now let's get craftin'!
 1.

2.




3.

Remove any fruit and discard.

JUST KIDDING!
Set aside to make Easy Cobbler. (Recipe to follow)

If you are leaving the label on, skip to step 5 and wash the cans carefully to keep the label as dry as possible.
4.



5.

If you are leaving the label on skip to step 13.

 If you are decorating, you can either fill the can first, and glue the lid down, and wait for the glue to dry, usually 24 hours,OR decorate first. Since I didn't really have glue, I chose to decorate first. :)

6.

7.


8.

9.


10.





11.

12.



Now dress it up!

 

13.







14.
 15.

16.
This is where you see one of my cans half done. I realized I was out of glue and was trying everything I could find. :) Note to self and you: Hot glue and metal really don't work well together. Don't bother. The glue pictured doesn't work well either. I really need my Crystal Effects!


(CLICK HERE TO SEE THE CHRISTMAS CANS (You will need to scroll down a little bit in the post.)



Now it is time to go make yourself a yummy treat with your leftover canned peaches. While it is baking you can admire your cute cans and think of wonderful people to give them to.

Recipe note: The recipe calls for 2 large cans of peaches,  but last night I used 5 of the cans shown above and it was just about right.

Amy's Easy Peach Cobbler
1 yellow cake mix (white works too), divided
2 large cans of peaches in light syrup
4 Tbsp brown sugar
2-3 Tbsp cinnamon
½ cup butter, cold, divided

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly spray/grease 9x13 glass baking pan.
Pour peaches into baking pan. Top with half of the dry cake mix. Cut up half the butter into about ½ tablespoon pats, place all over the mix. In a medium sized bowl, combine remaining cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon (you can do the cinnamon to taste, even leave it out.). With pastry cutter, cut in remaining butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Spread over contents of the pan. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Turn off oven and let sit 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to cool about 10 minutes. Serve warm.




 
I linked up HERE

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this cute idea! Also for the yummy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! Might just have to do this for the granddaughters for Easter!!! Thanks for posting and sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea!

    I like dump cake with peaches too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to make this! I am thinking Teacher Appreciation gift. . .

    ReplyDelete