Friday, February 18, 2011
I finally got brave and made some hexies! I have been really sick with a cold or some other similar virus, which means more down time than I am used to. Last night I needed something to occupy my hands while I vegged with a movie, and since I had just been reading about hexies at Bee in my Bonnet and Daisy Quilts I thought I would give it a whirl. It was fun, although it required more concentration than I had planned. Luckily I have Thoroughly Modern Millie pretty much memorized.
I used the leftover green charms from my Bliss charm packs. I used the hexagon template Robyn provides at her blog Daisy Quilts. I think I need pre-cut templates. I have a tough time cutting on the lines, even with my Cutter Bee scissors. I also need to figure out a good way to cut the fabric to the right size. At first I followed the tutorial's way of using a square or rectangle of fabric, sewing it and then trimming. That did not go so well. I kept cutting my stitched parts. So then I traced about 1/2 inch out from the template on the wrong side of the fabric with my disappearing ink pen. I just eyeballed it. That was better, but inconsistent. I would love to die cut them like Lori. (if you have a Sizzix machine that post is worth reading).
I also want to make a pincushion ring like hers. So cool!
I started out using a hair clip like I used for holding my binding on, but the thread kept snagging on the top. The paper clip Lori suggested works great. I'm not sure if this is a sewing project that will stick around, but I am at least going to finish enough to make the pin cushion.