About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Auntie’s Sugar Cookies

Auntie’s Sugar CookiesFamous Mormon Recipes
Long ago, my grandfather had a small publishing company and one of the books he published was Famous Mormon Recipes. It has some great recipes in it but this one is my favorite. It makes a large amount of thick, soft cookies. (If you roll them out right.) We make them for Christmas, Valentine's Day and Halloween and whenever else they sound good.
3 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening. Stir in sugar. Add eggs and milk. Stir. (If dough is too dry, add milk 1 TBSP at a time.)
(This dough should start out somewhat sticky but as you roll it out, it should work fine.) Roll dough onto floured surface and cut out shapes (1/4” thick dough works best). Place on un-greased cookie sheet(or lined with parchment) and sprinkle with sugar, (omit this step if decorating with frosting after baking). Bake 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.

Update:
Here is the original as printed. I tried to scan the page but my computer and scanner are not getting along today.

Auntie’s Sugar Cookies
Winnifred C. Jardine – Famous Mormon Recipes

7 cups sifted flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 lb lard or shortening
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut lard/shortening into flour as you would for pastry, until well blended. Stir in sugar. Add eggs and milk and stir thoroughly. If dough is too dry to roll out, add a little more milk. Roll dough on lightly floured board as thin as you like and cut into desired shapes. Sprinkle cookies with sugar and bake in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes or until done. Makes 21 dozen cookies.

** For my altered version click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment