About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Last week's WIPS


My MOTP LC QA Block 3 cut.


Tree Skirt


More tree skirt. This thing is kicking my butt! I have ripped out at least every other seam, so for every step forward on this project, I have taken 2 steps back.


Here is my progress on the advent calendar as of last Wednesday. Not much, but it is really going to be cute.


And the stocking progress. I had finshed it with French seams but when I turned it, the seam was totally puckery. It looked horrible. So it got de-constructed and pinned again to fix later.


My completed projects for the Ho-Ho Holiday swap, which I was thrilled to hear were loved by my partner.
I made the little block for her to commemorate the first quilt pattern she posted on her blog, The Kissy Fish quilt. I want to make a full size one soon. I made a test block before this one and learned a lot about quilting and binding just on that little bit of fabric. For example, read the directions carefully before beginning. I had never bound anything and so I was using The Quilting Answer Book. I had been flipping back and forth between sections and mixed up the directions, making my binding only 1 inch wide. So, when I sewed it on the front, it wouldn't even come around to the back. Oops. :) But I was able to fix it using mamacjt's single fold binding tutorial. It was a perfect fit for my messed up binding. I guess I should take a picture of it. I should have taken one before I fixed it. It was pretty funny looking.
When I planned the block I knew I could use Thangles, since it is a block using half square triangles. I used the smallest Thangles I could find to make sure it was ornament sized. Those papers made life much easier with those little h.s.t's. I was pleased with how it turned out.

The flowers were a technique I learned at my first Show and Tell meeting at Quilt Asylum. They always give you a challenge project to try before the next meeting and these flowers were the project they gave us. My little flower was so fun to make that I knew I would make them again. They looked a little poinsettia-like to me so they became ornaments for the Christmas tree.
There is a similar tutorial on A Girl in Paradise that you can use if you like these little flowers. The difference is mine used circles instead of squares to make the petals.
So now I am more or less caught up and ready for this week's WIP Wednesday. See you then!


3 comments:

  1. Awww AJ - lol - you and I are having similar stresses at the mo cos I have a quilt which is kicking my butt! Unpicking is such fun (NOT!!!!!).

    Just think of how lovely it will all look when you get finished :0)

    Gorgeous little swap goodies :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, the Advent Calendar is going to be super cute!!! Love the fabric! Let me know if you have any questions about it.

    ReplyDelete