About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sigh

Back in September I found a fat quarter in the orphan bin and loved it. I came up with a quilt pattern to use it in with several variations on a theme, but this being the basic idea.



It is still on my to-do list albeit with small stars instead of squares to give it a night sky kind of feel. Anyway, today I found a new blog and while perusing saw this quilt. Kind of a kicker. Same basic idea just done in white with different blocks. This happens to me a lot. I think I have this great idea for a quilt layout/pattern and bam, I see it somewhere else. This is why I am hesitant about "creating" patterns and putting them out to share. Someone somewhere has already executed.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this is the same thing at all! The similarities: Widely spaced blocks. The differences: everything else. One definition of plagiarism is whether a reasonable person would look a work and decide it's a copy of another. I personally don't think any reasonable person would say that about these two quilts. I've seen Betsy's quilt but didn't even think of it when I saw yours, until I clicked the link.

    I'm pretty sure there ISN'T much that's "new" in quilting anymore. There are only so many ways you can cut up fabric and sew it back together again. I think your view of "creating" and originality is too narrow. Originality can be found in the variations we put on something: Color, prints, borders, sashing, size, etc. The combinations are endless!

    Plus, one of the things I love about quilting is its communal nature. We all learn from each other and get inspired by each other and build on what somebody else started. It's fun to see other people's interpretations of things and the creativity that comes from that.

    In case you couldn't tell, I've been giving this issue a lot of thought lately. : ) I might have to do a post about this sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee,
    I do think that way a lot. I am pretty hard on myself when it comes to creativity, and I use my blog to vent and get feedback as well. It is nice that blogger friends can share support each other. I would love to read more thoughts on this topic from you and others as well!

    ReplyDelete