About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home Improvement Challenge

When I think of Home Improvement, I either think of remodeling, or the Tim Allen TV show. But today I am re-thinking Home Improvement.

"A home is much more than a house built of lumber, brick, or stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. We are responsible for the homes we build. We must build wisely, for eternity is not a short voyage. There will be calm and wind, sunlight and shadows, joy and sorrow. But if we really try, our home can be a bit of heaven here on earth. The thoughts we think, the deeds we do, the lives we live not only influence the success of our earthly journey, they also mark the way to our eternal goals." Thomas S. Monson

I am challenging myself to improve my home in one way every day.

It could be something like:
doing a simple act of service for family members
cleaning something that hasn't been clean since who knows when
repairing something
beautifying something
sincerely and frequently expressing and demonstrating love
trying a new healthy recipe
speaking kindly to family members
spend less time "checked out" on the computer
lower my voice a few decibels (I am a yeller, sorry to say)
smile when anger might be so much easier
finish something on the honey-do list (we both have one)
making/buying something to improve the spirit of our home

You get the idea?

Home should be a sanctuary and mine isn't right now. With 3 of my four kids in school for most of the day now, I have had more free time which I have spent on somewhat selfish activities for the last week. So now I am trying to strike a balance and have home where my kids and spouse want to be. I am not shooting for perfection, just improvement. My plan is to log what I have done as I finish the day.

Today I chose to clean all the doors and door frames downstairs. They were filthy and had been bothering me for some time. Not anymore!

Will you join me? And share your ideas too!



Some of my inspiration for these changes can be found here and here. This church has some amazing messages that can apply to all of us, whether members or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment