I finished my Sherbet quilt back the other day. It was an interesting process. It being my first back, I didn't know how to calculate how much yardage I would need, and most places I found online just said to measure the top and left it at that. So that was a learning experience. I am still not 100% sure how to do it.
In my previous post I had a sketch of my back as I had pictured it in my head. But it didn't turn out that way AT ALL. First off the strips were too narrow so I would have had too many seams for my taste. So there was re-vamp #1. Then I decided not to include the yellow fabric, so there was #2. I didn't like the thought of it being too balanced with 2 striped and 4 pink solid, so I ended up just doing one strip of the stripe. Also, I got really sick of making the blocks with my scraps. I guess scrappy piecing is not my thing. So that helped me decide on just 3 blocks in the back. Which pretty much left me with doing the entire back in pink, less one strip. Then it was placement so the blocks looked okay. It literally took me all day from - 9am until 6:30 pm - to come up with the final layout and then sew them together. But in the end it is not too bad. I don't love it yet. But I may warm up to it after it is quilted.
Here are some pictures of the various layouts, then the finished back. Sorry they are rather dark.
Next up, marking the top for quilting.