About this blog

I am Amy, but here on the web I go by A.J. Dub. And hey, I like to craft!
Sometimes things turn out well so I will share with you how I did it.
Sometimes they don't turn out well and I will share that with you too!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Apple Blackberry Pie Filling

Thanks to Cooks.com for this recipe. I quadrupled it for making Dutch Oven Cobbler and also added lemon juice.

Apple Blackberry Pie Filling

4 cups Fuji Apples, sliced and peeled (Granny Smith should work very well too)
4 cups washed blackberries
4 cups sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
½ cup cornstarch.
Water


Slice and peel apples, then pour lemon juice over them and toss to coat. Let sit for a minute or two. Then, in a large pot, pour apples, then blackberries. Simmer on medium low heat until apples are tender, but still somewhat firm.
Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
Mix ½ cup cornstarch with a little water until smooth and slowly pour into fruit, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium and cook until sauce is thick. Remove from heat.


Notes:

I used Fuji apples since that is what I had on hand. They held up fairly well.
Next time I am going to try leaving half the blackberries out until just before I add the sugar to see if I can keep more intact berries.
Also, I think there needs to be at least another cup of each fruit. There seems to be more sauce than fruit. It tastes great however. I could not stop tasting.
And since I haven't baked it into a pie or cobbler yet I don't know how well the fruit will continue to hold up or how it will taste.

This filling was supposed to be for the boys' campout tonight but that was cancelled due to flash flood warnings, high winds and mud, mud, mud. If the rain lets up we all might have Dutch Oven Cobbler tonight. I can't wait to find out how it tastes! I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment